Search The Library

Friday, July 13, 2012

The King's Speech

The King's Speech- R

By Jonathan Goodsell
When Inception was beat by The King's Speech for best picture, I knew I was missing out on something good. After seeing it, I see why it won. The King's Speech is the true story King George the VI (Collin Firth) and his struggle to overcome his speech impediment as he is called to become the King of England during World War II. With the help of a very unorthodox speech therapist (Geoffrey Rush) and his wife (Helena Bonham Carter), King George works through his fears in order to be able to speak to his country during the time of war.
I wish they made more movies like this. It's simple, thought provoking, and just fun to watch. The main reason I love movies like this is because of the talent that goes into it. The job done by Collin Firth to pull of a stuttering speech impediment was just phenomenal. It was reminiscent of Sean Penn in I Am Sam and Leonardo DiCaprio from What's Eating Gilbert Grape. It was no surprise to me how he won an Academy Award for his job. All the other acting though was fun to watch. It was entertaining to see Helena Bonham Carter play something that wasn't dark and creepy. Tom Hooper did an excellent job of filming the show. It was just amazingly well done and really enjoyable to watch. It flowed almost perfectly and it was mellow in an old fashioned sort of way. There was nothing sophisticated about this movie. There were no special effects to take away from the plot. It was just good, old fashioned, classic story telling. Better yet, it was a story you could fall in love with, and I think that's what made this movie an instant classic.
The thing that bothered me about this movie though was that it easily could have gotten a PG-13 rating, maybe even a PG rating. There isn't any violence, no blood, nor any risque behavior. The only reason it received the R rating is because there is a scene when George's therapist gets him angry and he loses his temper and lets off strings of f-bombs and other strong words for about a minute straight. If you know where this scene is and hit your "mute" button in time, the rest of the movie is perfectly harmless and really amazing to see. So honestly, I'd find someone who's seen it and watch it with them because this really is a movie all will enjoy and love.
I haven't said this yet in this review. I loved this movie. It was just fantastic. It told it's story beautifully and was even humerus at times to watch. I would recommend it to anyone, granted you know where to mute it. So in my reviewer opinion, The King's Speech gets a royal 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment