Search The Library

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Schindler's List

Schindler's List- R

By Jonathan Goodsell
In my opinion, this is one of the greatest movie ever made. Starring Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, and Ben Kingsley; Schindler's List tells the story of Oskar Schindler and his attempt to protect the Jews from the cruelty of the German Nazis. Schindler's List was a work of art. Despite the R rating, this is still a movie that all should see at one point in their lives. 
I loved this movie. It's no surprise that it won seven Academy Awards including best picture. It is extremely emotionally draining though. After I watched it, I sat around for probably an hour in a stupor of thought. What makes the movie so horrifying is that it's a true story. All the terrible things that happen in it, really happened. I think that's why it's so hard to watch. It's kind of like Titanic in that way. The acting was just superb. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch Ralph Fiennes the same again, which means it's a good thing I've seen all the Harry Potter all ready. But this was Liam Neeson at his best. I'm not sure if I've ever seen an acting job as good as his. It didn't surprise me that this was a Steven Spielberg film. He seems to be behind all the major hits. But this, this was special. This is by far one of his bests. The whole film was just so amazing and really well laid out. It wasn't complex and hard to understand, it was simple yet so full of detail it was just stunning. It was, simply put, a masterpiece. As good as it was though, I won't be watching it again soon. It's just so emotionally straining to watch, It'll take a while to want to watch it again. But when I do, I know I'll love it as much as I did the first time.
This movie was rated R for a reason, and that's something you need to realize before you watch it. But, there was no way the film could have been filmed and not received an R rating. Leaving out parts to get the lighter rating I believe would have been like telling a lie, it would have been immoral. We can't just pretend it never happened. We tell the story or we don't. There are a lot of bloody and merciless killings of Jews by Nazi soldiers. If the movie wasn't black and white, the blood and gore would have been way to much to handle. You also see plenty of other disturbing hardships the Jews are put through in the camps.You see groups of Jews stripped of their clothing and put through physicals; if they pass they were sent to get their clothes back, if not they were sent to the gas chambers. As graphic and clear as these scenes are, it's not meant to be in an inappropriate way, it's just what happened. There was some strong language, the one factor of the movie I believe they could have toned down. It wasn't exactly necessary to tell the story. I see why it was there to set the mood and try to explain the feelings going around, but for this film I believe it was still a lot more than needed. Most importantly I think you just have to remember that this movie is about the holocaust; it's depressing and almost aggravating to watch. So watch with caution, it's definitely not for your younger generation. But as strong as it is, I personally believe it to be a movie that almost everyone should watch at some point in their life.
As hard as it is to watch, this movie is still amazing. The feeling and emotion put into along with all the talent in and behind it made this movie one to be remembered. It's personally one of my favorites.So in my reviewer opinion, Schindler's List gets a loving and very well deserved 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment