Search The Library

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Super 8

Super 8- PG-13

By Jonathan Goodsell
This movie was pretty epic. The trailer was nothing like what the movie ended up being. Starring Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning, and Kyle Chandler, this movie was a mix of many things. It's about a group of kids that like making movies and one night while filming they witness a massive train crash. This train was carrying top secret government equipment and the air force quickly moves in to recover the stuff before the local enforcement can get it. The rest of the show is... well... I can't really say without spoiling it. The show is a little horror, like the trailer hinted, but is also a drama, comedy, and slightly romance. It was really good.
I was a skeptic going into it, I'll admit it. The trailer made it look like a cheesy alien film, but it being a Spielberg film, and J. J. Abrams for that matter, I was willing to give it a try. I ended up loving it. It was hilarious. All the main actors were kids, and they all did rather stunning jobs. I was impressed; it was reminiscent of The Goonies in both acting and humor. The directing was also really well done. The film was full with the perfect mix of emotionally connecting characters and intense sequences. However the originality of the film... well I won't go there.
The only problem I had with the film was, just like The Goonies, it swore, a lot. In fact, i'm not sure it missed a single foul word. That was really the only grudge I held against it. There is a little bit of sci-fi violence, but very minimal blood if any. Parts of the movie were rather intense and almost a little frightening. This is NOT a movie for your little ones. But frankly, if you could take out the language, anyone would absolutely love this movie.
So yeah, I pretty much loved it. I found this film very entertaining and rather enjoyable. It was a good mix for a good movie. Spielberg just knows how to make a good film. If your looking for a good film to watch, I'd recommend this one. So in my reviewer opinion, Super 8 earns a frighteningly good 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment